Thursday, December 19, 2013

THIS SEASON IS DARKEST FOR SOME


It was a strange at first -- this man stops to talk with our family on the plane home from Colorado. I sorta pushed myself back in my chair because he was so intimate about our personal space. We, a worn, post-vacationing family, corralling a 2 year old in a cramped compartment. This man picked us. Even thanked us for the moment we shared with him.

Just sitting down to write this post nearly brings me to tears. This man just wanted to revel in the laughter of our kids. Delight himself in a high five and fist bump with our 2 year old.  Remove his thoughts from his own reality for just a few short minutes.

He had lost his father that morning.

And I saw him. Not with my eyes, but with my heart. And I hurt for him.

People put up all these beautiful photos on their Facebook or their blog, and it’s easy to think that someone’s life is perfect or charmed. But oh! how imperfect life really is.

I have friends facing loneliness. Divorce. Depression. Infertility. And some facing issues not to those extremes, but in the thick of whatever their day brings, it sometimes feels like the world is crumbling around them.

And the cold hard truth is that these people are dealing with brokenness in tougher ways than me. I am self-centered thinking my temporary fatigue and occasional discouragement measures up to much. To allow the beauty of my days to be clouded by long to-do lists. Or worry about there being enough space in our house for our soon-arriving baby boy, when that man on the plane faces an empty chair.

Oh, Mandi, but Jesus wants to love you through the acute and the chronic brokenness. Don’t run from it. Live wide open. Cry if you need to. Be honest and brave.

So true – how often I forget. Give yourself permission to just be before Him, friend.

If this season is dark for you, know that joy will emerge. Healing will come. Because Jesus is your ultimate source of peace.

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”  -Matthew 5:4




17 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder in such a beautifully written post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate myself for nothing thanking you sooner! I may be late responding to comments, but I will definitely always respond. Thank you for visiting me!

      Delete
  2. How true this is. Such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely lovely. For that second in time, you and your family were God's love for that man. Christ chose to use you as his hands to comfort someone in their time of need. What a beautiful moment you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's, no doubt, exactly what it was -- I just wish, looking back, I had done more....said more.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Thank you for reminding us that there are so many people who are broken out there and we don't even realize it. What an encouragement to show love to others no matter who it may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marissa...it means a lot to me knowing this post impacted you in some small way. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Very well-written. Great reminder to show love to everyone you meet, because you never know what they are going through! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These types of experiences are small reminders in my life, that when I think I'm facing a hardship, all I have to do is look around the corner...to find someone far worse off than me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing such an important reminder about this holiday season. We are so fortunate around this time that we forget that there are others who are not so lucky. Let us remember the real meaning of Christmas, the celebration of Christ and his life and let us give hope and love to those less fortunate than us.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said...yes...thank you, Samantha!

      Delete
  7. This is so true and such a wonderful reminder around the holiday season. I see this often while out gathering gifts or getting groceries. Pain is honestly is everywhere if we truly take the time to slow down and look at those in our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful post and well written. So very true...
    xo, Sarah @movingeastonwest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your compassionate heart Mandi. It's amazing how people can be suffering right in front of us.
    Have a beautiful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. Facebook is mostly a life's journey highlight reel. You never know what goes on behind closed doors...or lap tops.

    ReplyDelete

I am incredibly grateful for your comment! I will respond as soon as possible. XOXO, Mandi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...